Gone are the days of painful plain-text log management. While plain-text data is still useful in certain situations, when it comes to doing extended analysis to gather insightful infrastructure data – and improve the quality of your code – it pays to invest in a reliable log management solution that can empower your business workflow.
Logs are not an easy thing to deal with, but regardless is an important aspect of any production system. When you are faced with a difficult issue, it’s much easier to use a log management solution than it is to weave through endless loops of text-files spread throughout your system environment.
The big advantage of log management tools is that they can help you easily pinpoint the root cause of any application or software error, within a single query. The same applies to security-related concerns, where many of the following tools are capable of helping your IT team prevent attacks even before they happen. Another factor is having a visual overview of how your software is being used globally by your user base — getting all this crucial data in one single dashboard is going to make your productivity rise substantially.
When picking the right log management tool for your needs, evaluate your current business operation. Decide on whether you’re still a small operation looking to get the basic data out of your logs, or you plan to enter the enterprise level – which will require more powerful and system efficient tools to tackle large scale log management.
We built Retrace to address the need for a cohesive, comprehensive developer tool that combines APM, errors, logs, metrics, and monitoring in a single dashboard. When it comes to log management, tools run the gamut from stand-alone log management tools to robust solutions that integrate with your other go-to tools, analytics, and more. We put together this list of 51 useful log management tools (listed below in no particular order) to provide an easy reference for anyone wanting to compare the current offerings to find a solution that best meets your needs.
51 Useful Tools for Log Management, Monitoring, and Analytics
Tired of chasing bugs in the dark? Thanks to Retrace, you don’t have to. Retrace your code, find bugs, and improve application performance with this suite of essential tools that every developer needs, including logging, error monitoring, and code level performance.
- Combines logs, errors, and APM
- Structured/semantic logging
- Advanced searching and filtering capabilities
- View and search custom log properties
- Automatic color-coding to draw attention to errors and warnings
- Tracking and reporting on where your log messages originated in your code
- Detailed traces on web requests and transactions
- View full application error details
- Explore all your logging fields
- Log analytics
- Real-time log tailing
- Use tags (highlighted in your logs)
- Supports a variety of application and server logs
- Starts at $10/month for QA/Pre-Prod Servers
- $25 – $50/month for Production Servers
Logentries is a cloud-based log management platform that makes any type of computer-generated type of log data accessible to developers, IT engineers, and business analysis groups of any size. Logentries’ easy onboarding process ensures that any business team can quickly and effectively start understanding their log data from day one.
- Real-time search and monitoring; contextual view, custom tags, and live-tail search.
- Dynamic scaling for different types and sizes of infrastructure.
- In-depth visual analysis of data trends.
- Custom alerts and reporting of pre-defined queries.
- Modern security features to protect your data.
- Flawless integration with leading chat and performance management tools.
- Free: $0
- Starter: $39
- Pro: $99
- Team: $265
- Enterprise: Custom quote.
GoAccess is a real-time log analyzer software intended to be run through the terminal of Unix systems, or through the browser. It provides a rapid logging environment where data can be displayed within milliseconds of it being stored on the server.
- Truly real-time; updates log data within milliseconds within the terminal environment.
- Custom log strings.
- Monitor pages for their response time; ideal for apps.
- Effortless configuration; select your log file and run GoAccess.
- Understand your website visitor data in real-time.
Cost: Free (Open-Source)
Logz.io uses machine-learning and predictive analytics to simplify the process of finding critical events and data generated by logs from apps, servers, and network environments. Logz.io is a SaaS platform with a cloud-based back-end that’s built with the help of ELK Stack – Elasticsearch, Logstash & Kibana. This environment provides a real-time insight of any log data that you’re trying to analyze or understand.
- Use ELK stack as a Service; analyze logs in the cloud.
- Cognitive analysis provides critical log events before they reach production.
- Fast set-up; five minutes to production.
- Dynamic scaling accommodates businesses of all sizes.
- AWS-built data protection to ensure your data stays safe and intact.
- Free: $0
- Pro: Starting at $89
- Enterprise: Custom quote.
Graylog is a free and open-source log management platform that supports in-depth log collection and analysis. Used by teams in Network Security, IT Ops and DevOps, you can count on Graylog’s ability to discern any potential risks to security, lets you follow compliance rules, and helps to understand the root cause of any particular error or problem that your apps are experiencing.
- Enrich and parse logs using a comprehensive processing algorithm.
- Search through unlimited amounts of data to find what you need.
- Custom dashboards for visual output of log data and queries.
- Custom alerts and triggers to monitor any data failures.
- Centralized management system for team members.
- Custom permission management for users and their roles.
- Free: Open-Source
- Enterprise: Starting at $6,000 per year
Splunk focuses its log management services around enterprise customers who need concise tools for searching, diagnosing and reporting any events surrounding data logs. Splunk’s software is built to support the process of indexing and deciphering logs of any type, whether structured, unstructured, or sophisticated application logs, based on a multi-line approach.
- Splunk understands machine-data of any type; servers, web servers, networks, exchanges, mainframes, security devices, etc.
- Flexible UI for searching and analyzing data in real-time.
- Drilling algorithm for finding anomalies and familiar patterns across log files.
- Monitoring and alert system for keeping an eye on important events and actions.
- Visual reporting using an automated dashboard output.
- Free: 500MB data per day
- Splunk Cloud: Starting at $186
- Splunk Enterprise: Starting at $2,000
Logmatic is an extensive logging management software that integrates seamlessly with any language or stack. Logmatic works equally well with front-end and back-end log data and provides a painless online dashboard for tapping into valuable insights and facts of what is happening within your server environment.
- Upload & Go — share any type of logs or metrics, and Logmatic will automagically sort them for you.
- Custom parsing rules let you weed through tons of complicated data to find patterns.
- Powerful algorithm for pinpointing logs back to their origin.
- Dynamic dashboards for scaling up time series, pie charts, calculated metrics, flow charts, etc.
- Starter: $49
- Pro: $99
- Enterprise: $349
Logstash from Elasticsearch is one of the most renowned open-source projects for managing, processing and transporting your log data and events. Logstash works as a data processor that can combine and transform data from multiple sources at the same time, then send it over to your favorite log management platform, such as Elasticsearch.
- Ingest data from varied sets of sources: logs, metrics, web apps, data storages, AWS, without losing concurrency.
- Real-time data parsing.
- Create structure from unstructured data.
- Pipeline encryption for data security.
9. Sumo Logic
Sumo Logic is a unified logs and metrics platform that helps you analyze your data in real-time using machine-learning, Sumo Logic can quickly depict the root cause of any particular error or event, and it can be setup to be constantly on guard as to what is happening to your apps in real-time. Sumo Logic’s strong point is its ability to work with data at a rapid pace, removing the need for external data analysis and management tools.
- Unified platform for all log and metrics.
- Advanced analytics using machine learning and predictive algorithms.
- Quick setup.
- Support for high-resolution metrics.
- Multi-tenant: single instance can serve groups of users.
- Free: 500MB per day
- Professional: $90
- Enterprise: $150
Papertrail is a snazzy hosted log management service that takes care of aggregating, searching, and analyzing any type of log files, system logs, or basic text log files. Its real-time features allow for developers and engineers to monitor live happenings for apps and servers as they are happening. Papertrail offers seamless integration with services like Slack, Librato and Email to help you set up alerts for trends and any anomalies.
- Simple and user-friendly interface.
- Easy setup; direct logs to a link provided by the service.
- Log events and searches are updated in real-time.
- Full-text search. Message, metadata, even substrings.
- Graph with Librato, Geckoboard, or your own service.
- Free: 100MB/month
- Pro: Starting at $7/month for 1GB/data
Fluentd collects events from various data sources and writes them to files, RDBMS, NoSQL, IaaS, SaaS, Hadoop and so on. Fluentd helps you unify your logging infrastructure. Fluentd’s flagship feature is an extensive library of plugins which provide extended support and functionality for anything related to log and data management within a concise developer environment.
- Unified logging layer that can decouple data from multiple sources.
- Gives structure to unstructured logs.
- Flexible, but simple. Takes a couple of minutes to get it going.
- Compatible with a majority of modern data sources.
- Free: Open-Source
- Enterprise: Upon request.
Syslog is an open-source log management solution that helps engineers and DevOps to collect log data from a large variety of sources to process them and eventually send over to a preferred log analysis tool. With Syslog, you can effortlessly collect, diminish, categorize and correlate your log data from your existing stack and push it forward for analysis.
- Open-source with a large community following.
- Flexible scaling with any size infrastructure.
- Plugin support for extended functionality.
- PatternDB for finding patterns in complex data logs.
- Data can be inserted into common database choices.
Rsyslog is a blazing-fast system built for log processing. It offers great performance benchmarks, tight security features, and a modular design for custom modifications. Rsyslog has grown from a singular logging system to be able to parse and sort logs from an extended range of sources, which it can then transform and provide an output to be used in dedicated log analysis software.
- Easy to implement in common web hosts.
- Lets you create custom parse methods.
- Online config builder.
- Regex generator and checker.
- Custom development available for hire.
LOGalyze is a simple to use log collection and analysis system with low operational costs, centralized system for log management and is capable of gathering log data from extended sources of operational systems. LOGalyze does predictive event detection in real-time while giving system admins and management personnel the right tools for indexing and searching through piles of data effortlessly.
- High-performance and high-speed processing of logs.
- Log-definitions for breaking down and indexing log lines.
- Integrated front-end dashboard for efficient online access.
- Secure log forwarding to chosen applications.
- Automated reporting in PDF.
- Compatible with Syslog, Rsyslog.
- It breaks down the incoming log to fields and names them.
Cost: Free & Open-Source
jKool Cloud helps its users to unravel important insights about their log data which can then be used to amplify the decision making in any business environment. jKool’s platform helps teams to improve their customer experience by tapping into crucial data about user and application activity on server and client side of things; with comprehensive tools, you can better understand how users are using your apps and improve based on your findings.
- Cloud-based, but can be deployed on your own server infrastructure.
- Multi-tenancy for team and accounts management.
- Handles large and complex sets of data in real-time.
- Streamable queries for gathering insight without having to deploy complex infrastructure.
- Visual charts dashboard for visualizing any insights and important data.
- Geo-tagging for events and location-based search queries.
- Simulation engine for bootstrapping mock-ups.
Free: 1GB/per day
Business: Custom quote only.
Sentry is a modern platform for managing, logging, and aggregation any potential errors within your apps and software. Sentry’s state of the art algorithm helps teams detect any potential errors within the app infrastructure that could be critical to production operations. Sentry essential helps teams to avoid the hassle of having to deal with a problem that’s too late to fix and instead uses its technology to help inform teams about any potential rollbacks or fixes that would sustain the health of the software.
- Detailed error reporting: URL’s, used parameters, and header information.
- Graphical interface for understanding nature of certain errors and where they originate from so that you can fix them.
- Dynamic alerts and notifications using SMS, Email, and Chat services.
- Real-time error reporting as you deploy a new version of your app so that errors can be monitored as they happen, and ultimately prevented before it’s too late.
- User-feedback system to compare any potential error reporting to that of experience of the user himself.
- Free: 10k/events per month
- Pro: Starting at $12
- Enterprise: Upon request.
Rocana provides an out of the box log analytics with its flagship product Rocana Ops — Rocana Ops is an advanced analytics platform that is capable of advanced anomaly detection, automated behavior detection across your existing stack, and direct error reporting. A limitless Search feature lets you dig deep into the history of your logs and pinpoint crucial errors and obstructions as far as you need to look, giving you clear answers to questions that might have been previously difficult to answer.
- Statistical metrics for system performance measurement.
- Weighted Analytic Risk Notifications gives an individual score to trends (succeed or fail).
- Custom metrics out of the box.
- Highly scalable and can manage terabytes of data without any performance issues.
- Built for Hadoop to provide stellar back-end performance.
- Provides concise business data for IT operations.
Cost: Upon request.
Apache Flume is an elegantly designed service for helping its users to stream data directly into Hadoop. It’s core architecture is based on streaming data flows — these can be used to ingest data from a variety of sources to directly link up with Hadoop for further analysis and storage purposes. Flume’s Enterprise customers use the service to stream data into the Hadoop’s HDFS; generally, this data includes data logs, machine data, geo-data, and social media data.
- Multi-server support for ingesting data from multiple sources.
- Collection can be done in real-time or collectively using batch modes.
- Allows the ingestion of large data sets from common social and eCommerce networks for real-time analysis.
- Scalable by adding more machines to transfer more events.
- Reliable back-end built with durable storage and failover protection.
Cost: Free, Open-Source
Cloudlytics is a SaaS startup designed to improve the analysis of log data, billing data, and cloud services. In particular, it is targeted at AWS Cloud services, such as CloudFront and S3 CloudTrail — using Cloudlytics customers can get in-depth insights and pattern discovery based on the data provided by those services. With three management modules, Cloudlytics gives its users the flexibility to choose from monitoring resources in their environment, analyze monthly bills or analyze AWS logs.
- Real-time alerts of errors as soon as they appear.
- Billing analytics let you closely watch over your consumption of resources.
- Sophisticated user interfaces for getting a truly in-depth view of your data.
- File download analytics including GEO data.
- Automated cloud management for back-ups and service status.
Cost: Starts at $5/month.
Scalyr’s modern technology enables for Ops teams to experience a heightened level of performance and work productivity through replacing traditional tools (monitoring, metrics, analysis, and tracking) with one standalone and integrated service. Scalyr’s infrastructure allows any DevOps team to scour through terabytes of data within a matter of seconds. Scalyr can be used as a separate agent on any of your own services, or you can import data from services like Heroku, AWS, and Fluentd.
- Centralized log management and server monitoring.
- Search hundreds of GBs/sec across all your servers.
- Watch filtered messages and events appear in real-time.
- Turn your logs and metrics data into visually appealing graphs.
- System overview dashboards for quick access to system performance and reporting.
- Powerful alert manager so you can keep up with what’s going on in your system.
- Error and alert reports can be traced back to root issues.
- Silver: $99
- Gold: $249
- Platinum: $499
Octopussy is a Perl-based, open-source log manager that can do alerting and reporting, and visualization of data. Its basic back-end functionality is to analyze logs, generate reports based on log data, and alert the administration to any relevant information.
- Lightweight Directory Access Protocol for maintaining a users list.
- Custom alert notifications through email, Jabber, Nagios and Zabbix.
- Generate custom reports and export them using FTP, SCP, or Email.
- Create custom maps for understanding the architecture of your back-end.
- Custom support for popular services and software: Cisco, Postfix, MySQL, Syslog, etc.
- Custom templates for interfaces and reports.
LOGStorm is a SIEM compliant log management solution with advanced features that are easy to implement and use. Built with security in mind, LOGStorm focuses on helping Ops teams to identify threats, breaches, and violations before or as they appear. LOGStorm’s cost-friendly management and monitoring solution allows teams of any size to better understand what their data is doing and why.
- Real-time threat analysis allows you to identify threats as they happen so that you can prevent them from having a negative impact on your network.
- Correlation algorithm to understand why events are occurring and whether there are any patterns to recognize.
- Centralized storage of logs for easy access to event data, records, and raw logs.
- Extensive Device Support ensures integration with over 1,000 devices, systems, and applications.
- Easy setup and configuration even for operations without prior security resources.
Cost: Upon request.
Today’s environment of IT departments can provide a layer of challenges when it comes to truly in-depth understanding of why events occur and what logs are reporting. With thousands of log entries from a plethora of sources, and with the demand for logs to be analyzed real-time, there can arise difficulties in knowing how to manage all of the data in a centralized environment. NXLog strives to provide the required tools for concise analysis of logs from a variety of platforms, sources, and formats. NXLog can collect logs from files in various formats, receive logs from the network remotely over UDP, TCP or TLS/SSL on all supported platforms.
- Multi-platform support for Linux, GNU, Solaris, BSD, Android, and Windows.
- Modular environment through pluggable plugins.
- Scalable and high-performance with the ability to collect logs at 500,000 EPS or more.
- Message queuing enables you to buffer and prioritize logs so they don’t get lost in the pipeline.
- Task schedule and log rotation.
- Offline log processing capabilities for conversions, transfers, and general post processing.
- Secure network transport over SSL.
Cost: Free (Community Edition), Enterprise (Upon request)
NetIQ is an enterprise software company that focuses on products related to application management, software operations, and security and log management resources. The Sentinel Log Manager is a bundle of software applications that allow for businesses to take advantage of features like effortless log collector, analysis services, and secure storage units to keep your data accessible and safe. Sentinel’s cost-effective and flexible log management platforms make it easy for businesses to audit their logs in real-time for any possible security risks, or application threats that could upset production software.
- Distributed search — find comprehensive details about events on your local or global Sentinel Log Manager servers.
- Instant reports — create detailed one-click reports based on your search queries.
- Sentinel Log Manager comes with reports needed for common regulatory reporting. These predefined reports reduce the time you must spend on compliance.
- Choose from traditional text-oriented search or built custom, and more complex, search queries yourself.
- Support for non-proprietary storage systems.
- Intuitive storage analysis to let you know when you can expect to need more storage availability, based on the current rate of consumption.
- Log encryption over the network to provide a hardened layer of security for your log data.
Cost: Custom quote upon request.
XpoLog seeks out new and innovative ways to help its customers better understand and master their IT data. With their leading technology platform, XpoLog focuses on helping customers analyze their IT data using unique patents and algorithms that are affordable for all operation sizes. The platform drastically reduces time to resolution and provides a wealth of intelligence, trends, and insights into enterprise IT environments.
- Agent-less technology for collective live data over an SSH connection.
- Collect log events via traditional choices like HTTP or Syslog, or Fluentd and LogStash.
- XpoLog’s technology can interpret any log format, including that of archived files.
- Choose from dynamic or automated parsing rules.
- Dynamic search platform that provides comprehensive search features within a Google-like search environment.
- Search across live log data for application problems, IDs, IPs, errors, exceptions, and more.
- Using search functions, users can filter and investigate logs and apply complex functions to aggregate and correlate events in the indexed data.
- Free: 1GB / per day
- Pro: Starting at $9
- Enterprise: Custom quote.
EventTracker provides its customers with business-optimal services that help to correlate and identify system changes that potentially affect the overall performance, security, and availability of IT departments. EventTracker uses SIEM to create a powerful log management environment that can detect changes through concise monitoring tools, and provides USB security protection to keep IT infrastructure protected from emerging security attacks. EventTracker SIEM collates millions of security and log events and provides actionable results in dynamic dashboards so you can pinpoint indicators of a compromise while maintaining archives to meet regulatory retention requirements.
- Malware detection and automated audit using MD5 and VirusTotal.
- Network-wide threat hunting based on patterns.
- Builds on top of the success of Snort and OpenVAS, providing a user-friendly environment to use both for extensive security measurements and audits.
- Straightforward deployment of software to have it up and running quickly.
- Pre-configured alerts for hundreds of security and operational conditions.
Cost: Starting at $2,000
Getting your focus lost in an ocean of log data can be detrimental to your work and business productivity. You know the information you need is somewhere in those logs, but don’t quite have the power to pick it out from the rest. LogRhythm is a next-generation log management platform that does all the work of unfolding your data for you. Using comprehensive algorithms and the integration of Elasticsearch, anyone can identify crucial insights about business and IT operations. LogRhythm focuses on making sure that all of your data is understood, versus collecting it alone and only taking it from it what you need.
- Smart data collection technology allows you to collect, analyze and parse virtually any kind of data.
- Elasticsearch backend for concluding simple or sophisticated search queries that go through your data at lightning-fast speeds.
- Critical attack monitoring to the very first and last second of occurrence.
- Advanced visual dashboard to help you quickly understand how data is originating and whether a threat is present.
- Meet compliance and data retention requirements by archiving data at a low cost.
Cost: Starting at $24,000.
WhatsUp Log Management Suite from Ipswitch is a modular management solution based on apps that collect, analyze, report, alert and store log data in real-time. That gives you the tools to understand your data real-time to detect events and prevent security mishaps. Log data is full of insightful information about the ways that an organization can prevent itself from threats, attacks, malware, and any loss of data. Given the fact that log files come from a plethora of sources at any given time, it’s hard to do all of the work manually, albeit it’s near-impossible, which is why WhatsUp Suite is the perfect solution for log management and analysis.
- Automated archiving and collection of logs; clears and consolidates within a single framework.
- Helps to keep a close eye on what’s happening with your log files in real-time.
- Create custom analysis queries and builds reports to understand log data and trends.
- In-depth forensics across all servers and workstations in a single console.
- High-level cryptographic encryption using FIPS 140-2.
Cost: Starting at $1,300.
McAfee is a household name in IT and Network security and has been known to provide modern and latest technology optimized tools for businesses and corporations of all sizes. The McAfee Enterprise Log Manager is an automated log management and analysis suite for all types of logs; Event, Database, Application, and System logs. The software’s in-built features can identify and validated logs for their authenticity — a truly necessary feature for compliance reasons. Organizations have been using McAfee to ensure that their infrastructure is in compliance with the latest security policies. McAfee Enterprise complies with more than 240 standards.
- Keep your compliance costs low with automated log collection, management, and storage.
- Native support for collecting, compressing, signing, and storing all root events so that they can be traced back to their origin.
- Custom storage and retention options for individual log sources.
- Option to choose from local or network storage areas.
- Supports chain of custody and forensics.
- Storage pools for flexible, long-term log storage.
Cost: Starting at $30,000.
AlientVault USM (Unified Security Management) reaches far beyond the capabilities of SIEM solutions using a powerful AIO (All in One) security precautions and comprehensive threat analysis algorithm to identify threats in your physical or cloud locations. Resource-dependent IT teams that rely on SIEM are at risk of delaying their ability to detect and analyze threats as they happen, whereas AlienVault USM combines the powerful features of SIEM and integrates them with direct log management and other security features, such as; asset discovery, assessment of vulnerabilities, and direct-threat detection — all of which give you one and centralized platform for security monitoring.
- Cost-effective by integrating third-party security tools.
- Pre-written configs let you detect threats right from the get go.
- Comprehensive security intelligence as provided by AlientVault Labs.
- Kill-chain taxonomy for quick assessment of threats, their intent, and strategy.
- Granular methods for in-depth search and security data analysis.
- Network & Host IDS.
Cost: Starting at $10,000.
Not everyone is in need of an enterprise solution for log management, in fact, many of today’s most well-known businesses operate solely on mobile-only platforms, which is a market that Bugfender is trying to impact with its high-quality log application for cloud-based analysis of general log and user behavior within your mobile apps.
- Intuitive bug analysis lets you track your app errors and get them patched up before they reach production.
- Customer history to provide better and more precise customer support.
- Remote logging sends all log data directly to the cloud services provided by Bugfender.
- Custom logging options for individual devices.
- Offline data storage for transmission to live servers once the device is back online.
- Extended device information for all logging sessions.
- Free: 100K log lines per day
- Startup: $29
- Business: $99
- Premium: $349
LogDNA prides itself as the easiest log management platform that you’ll ever put your hands on. LogDNA’s cloud-based log services enable for engineers, DevOps, and IT teams to suction any app or system logs within one simple dashboard. Using CMD or Web interface, you can search, save, tail, and store all of your logs in real-time. With LogDNA, you can diagnose issues, identify the source of server errors, and analyze customer activity, as well as monitor Nginx, Redis, and more. A live-streaming tail makes surfacing difficult-to-find bugs easy.
- Gather logs from your favorite systems including Linux, Mac, Windows, Docker, Node, Python, Fluentd, and much more.
- Easy to use and experiment with demo environment for a real-time product preview.
- Powerful algorithm to identify and detect the core relationship between data and issues at hand.
- Real-time data search, filter, and debug.
- Built by an ambitious group of people who are keen to work on implementing new features and sets of tools.
- Has a close relationship with the open-source community to provide transparency.
- Free: Unlimited / Single User
- Pro: Starting at $1.25 per GB and custom features as needed.
Prometheus is a systems and service monitoring system that collects metrics from configured targets at specified intervals, evaluates rule expressions, displays results and triggers alerts when pre-defined conditions are met. With customers like DigitalOcean, SoundCloud, Docker, CoreOS and countless others, the Prometheus repository is a great example of how open-source projects can compete with leading technology and innovate in the field of systems and log management.
- A custom-built query language for digging deep into your data that can then be used to create graphs, charts, tables, and custom alerts.
- A selection of data visualization methods: Grafana, Console, and an inbuilt ExpressionEngine.
- Efficient storage techniques to scale data appropriately.
Cost: Free, Open-Source.
Scout is a language specific monitoring app that helps Ruby on Rails developers identify code errors, memory leaks, and more. Scout has been renowned for its simple yet advanced UI that provides an effortless experience of understanding what is happening with your Ruby on Rails apps in real-time. A recent business expansion also enabled Scout to expand its functionality for Elixir-built apps.
- Memory leak detection.
- Slow database query analysis.
- Powerful integration with GitHub.
- Automatic dependency instrumentation.
Motadata does more than just manages your logs; it can correlate, integrate and visualize near any of your IT data using native applications inbuilt within the platform. On top of world-class log management, Motadata is capable of monitoring the status and health of your network, servers, and apps. Contextual alerts ensure that you can sleep well-rested as any critical events or pre-defined thresholds will notify you or your team using frequently used platforms like Email, Messaging, or Chat applications.
- Extensive log sourcing options: Firewalls, Routers, Switches, Servers (Web, App, Sys), Databases, Anti-Malware Software, Mail Servers, and more.
- Gather essential data quickly in the event of a security breach.
- In-depth keyword search that pinpoints specific terms across all of your logs.
- Audit analysis to discover crucial insights and trends that stem across your log data.
- Native integration with apps like Jira, Jetty, AWS, IIS, Oracle, Microsoft, and much more.
Cost: 30Day Free Trial
InTrust gives your IT department a flexible set of tools for collecting, storing, and searching through huge amounts of data that comes from general data sources, server systems, and usability devices within a single dashboard. InTrust delivers a real-time outlook on what your users are doing with your products, and how those actions affect security, compliance, and operations in general. With InTrust you can understand who is doing what within your apps and software, allowing you to make crucial data-driven decisions when necessary.
- Security and Forensic analysis using pre-built templates and algorithms.
- Concise and dynamic investigations in data about your users, files, and events.
- Run smart searches on auditing data from Enterprise Reporter and Change Auditor to improve security, compliance, and operations while eliminating information silos from other tools.
- Easily forward your Windows system data to a SIEM solution for deeper analysis.
Cost: Free Trial for Enterprise solution upon request.
Nagios provides a complete log management and monitoring solution which is based on its Nagios Log Server platform. With Nagios, a leading log analysis tool in this market, you can increase the security of all your systems, understand your network infrastructure and its events, and gain access to clear data about your network performance and how it can be stabilized.
- A powerful out of the box dashboard that gives customers a way to filter, search, and conduct a comprehensive analysis of any incoming log data.
- Extended availability through multiple server clusters so data isn’t lost in case of an outage.
- Custom alert assignments based on queries and IT department in charge.
- Tap into the live-stream of your data as its coming through the pipes.
- Easy management of clusters lets you add more power and performance to your existing log management infrastructure.
Cost: Starting at $1995.
If Enterprise-level log management software is overwhelming you by now, you may want to look into LNAV — an advanced log data manager intended to be used by smaller-scale IT teams. With direct terminal integration, it can stream log data as it is incoming in real-time. You don’t have to worry about setting anything up or even getting an extra server; it all happens live on your existing server, and it’s beautiful. In order to run LNAV, you will need to get the following packages: libpcre, sqlite, ncurses, readline, zlib, and bz2.
- Runs directly in your server terminal; easy to open, close, and manage.
- Point and shoot concept, specify the log directory and start monitoring.
- Custom filters automatically filter out the ‘garbage’ portion of your log data.
Seq is a software-specific log software for .NET applications. Developers can easily use Seq to monitor log data and performance through the process of developing the application all the way to production level. Search specific application logs from a simple events dashboard, and understand how your apps progress or perform when you push towards your final iteration.
- Structured logging provides a rich outlook on events and how they related to each other.
- Full-text support.
- Filters database for creating and saving filters based on what you’re searching for.
- Custom analysis and charting using SQL syntax.
- Single-Use License: Free
- Team: $190
- Business: $690
- Enterprise: $1990
Logary is a high performance, multi-target logging, metric, tracing and health-check library for Mono and .Net. As a next-generation logging software, Logary uses the history of your app progress to build models from.
- Logging from a class module.
- Custom logging fields and templating capabilities.
- Custom adapters: EventStore, FsSQL, Suave, Topshelf.
EventSentry is an award-winning monitoring solution that includes a new NetFlow component for visualizing, measuring, and investigating network traffic. This log management tool helps SysAdmins and network professionals achieve more uptime and security.
- See all traffic metadata that passes through network devices that support NetFlow.
- Utilize network traffic data for troubleshooting purposes.
- Map network traffic to a geo-location.
- Communicate and document your network by adding notes or uploading documents in the web reports by @ mentioning the computer name so the web reports can associate the update with the appropriate device on the network.
- Automatically extracts IP addresses from events and supplements them with reverse lookup and/or Geo IP lookup data.
- Central collector service supports data collection over insecure mediums through strong TLS encryption.
- Full License: $85/Windows device + free year of maintenance and $15.30 for each additional year – Price decreases when purchasing multiple licenses at a time
- Network Device Licenses: Starting at $58 + free year of maintenance – Price decreases when purchasing multiple licenses at a time
- NetFlow License: $1,299/collector + free year of maintenance and $233.82 for each additional year
A full feature, all-in-one SIEM solution that unifies log management, security analytics, and compliance, Logsign is a next-generation solution that increases awareness and allows SysAdmins and network professionals to respond in real time.
- With its flexible and scalable architecture, Logsign provides high availability and redundancy.
- Able to reach millions of data within seconds via its HDFS-based NoSQL architecture.
- Threat Intelligence embedded correlation.
- Discovers next-gen threats and take precautions.
- Detects internal and external threats, vulnerabilities.
- High capacity log classification.
- Multi-machine correlation architecture.
- Hundreds of pre-defined dashboard and reports.
- Optimizes compliance (PCI DSS, ISO 27001, HIPAA, SOX, NERC…) and information security processes.
Cost: FREE trial available; Contact for a quote
43. Loom Systems
Loom Systems provides AI-powered log analysis for watching over your digital systems. Their advanced AI analytics platform predicts and prevents problems in digital business by connecting to your digital assets and continually monitoring and learning about them by reading logs and detecting when something seems likely to go off course.
- Automated log parsing for any type of application.
- Problem prediction and cross-applicative correlation.
- Automated root cause analysis and recommended resolutions.
- Stream all logs from any application, and Loom automatically parses and analyzes them in real time.
- Leverages AI to provide root causes of issues in real time.
Cost: FREE trial available
- Startup: $999/month – 1 user, unlimited data, up to 10 monitored instances, access to full feature set, dedicated secure cloud server, and unlimited alerts
- Team: Contact for a quote – 5 users, all Startup features, plus up to 100 monitored instances, dedicated account manager, and kickoff training session
- Business: Contact for a quote – 20 users, all Team features, plus up to 1,000 monitored instances, weekly session with an expert analyst, and enterprise SLA
SolarWinds offers IT management software and monitoring tools such as their Log & Event manager. This log management tool handles security, compliance, and troubleshooting by normalizing your log data to quickly spot security incidents and make troubleshooting a breeze.
- Node-based licensing.
- Real-time event correlation.
- Real-time remediation.
- File integrity monitoring.
- USB defender.
- Configurable dashboard.
- Scheduled searches.
- User defined groups.
- Custom email templates.
- Threat intelligence feed.
Cost: FREE trial available; Starts at $4,495
ManageEngine creates comprehensive IT management software for all of your business needs. Their EventLog Analyzer is an IT compliance and log management software for SIEM that is one of the most cost-effective on the market today.
- Automate the entire process of managing terabytes of machine-generated logs by collecting, analyzing, correlating, searching, reporting, and archiving from one centralized console.
- Monitor file integrity.
- Conduct log forensics analysis.
- Monitor privileged users.
- Comply with various compliance regulatory bodies.
- Analyzes logs to instantly generate a number of reports including user activity reports, historical trend reports, and more.
Cost: FREE trial available; Contact for a quote
PagerDuty helps developers, ITOps, DevOps, and businesses protect their brand reputation and customer experiences. An incident resolution platform, PagerDuty automates your resolutions and provides full-stack visibility and delivers actionable insights for better customer experiences.
- Visualize each dimension of the customer experience.
- Gain event intelligence and understand the context of disruptions across your infrastructure with actionable, time-series visualizations of correlated events.
- Response orchestration to enable better collaboration and rapid resolution.
- Discover patterns in performance and view post-mortem reports to analyze system efficiency.
Cost: FREE trial available for 14 days
- Lite: $9/month billed annually or $10/month billed monthly – Unlimited notifications, 180+ integrations with top tools, alert triage and reduplication, reliable notifications and escalations, and more
- Basic: $29/month billed annually or $34/month billed monthly – Unlimited notifications, 200+ integrations with top tools, all Lite features, plus incident enrichment, incident urgencies, on-call scheduling, and more
- Standard: $49/month billed annually or $59/month billed annually – Unlimited notifications, 200+ integrations with top tools, all Basic features, plus coordinated response, incident subscription, postmortems, and more
- Enterprise: $99/month billed annually – Unlimited notifications, 200+ integrations with top tools, all Standard features, plus operations command console, infrastructure health application, stakeholder users, live all routing, and more
BLËSK Event Log Manager is an intuitive, comprehensive, and cost-effective iT and network management software solution. With BLËSK, you can collect log and event data automatically with zero installation and zero configuration.
- Store logs and event data in a single place.
- Centralize, analyze, and control logs from all of the equipment on your network and more.
- Lightning fast access to millions of log entries on your network.
- Collect log and event data in real-time from any device.
- Fast, easy log collection for addressing different scaling needs.
Cost: FREE trial available; Contact for a quote
48. ALog SMASH
ALog SMASH is a top log management tool that collects log data used to monitor access to servers storing important information accessible through endpoints. ALog SMASH works a the server level and costs less to run than client PC log monitoring tools.
- Monitors the status of all access to crucial data.
- Collects log files and converts them into usable, actionable information.
- Ultra-compression reduces converted files to less than 1/40,000 their original size.
- Indexes files for easy search.
- Customizable settings for easier, more efficient detection.
Cost: FREE trial available; ALog SMASH 1 server license: $1,740 – Includes first year maintenance fee
Alert Logic offers full stack security and compliance. Their Log Manager with ActiveWatch is a Security-as-a-Service solution that meets compliance requirements and identifies security issues anywhere in your environment, even in the public cloud.
- Collects, processes, and analyzes data while the ActiveWatch team unlocks the insights in your log data.
- 24×7 expert monitoring and analysis.
- Cloud-based log management.
- Increased visibility, rapid custom reporting, and scalable, real-time log collection and log management.
- Easy-to-use web interface with intuitive search interface.
- Over 4,000 parsers available with new log format support added frequently.
- Advanced correlation capabilities.
Cost: Contact for a quote
WhatsUp Gold Network Monitoring is a log management tool that delivers advanced visualization features that enable IT teams to make faster decisions and improve productivity. With WhatsUp Gold, you can deliver network reliability and performance and ensure optimized performance while minimizing downtime and continually monitoring networks.
- Monitor applications, network, servers, VMs, and traffic flows with one flexible license.
- Visualize your end-to-end network with interactive network maps.
- Find problems and troubleshoot them more quickly to provide optimal availability and low MTTRs.
- Unique, affordable consumption-based licensing approach.
- Application monitoring, network traffic analysis, configuration management, discovery and network monitoring, and virtual environment monitoring.
Cost: FREE trial available for 30 days
- WhatsUp Gold Basic: Starting at $1,755/license – Network monitoring essentials
- WhatsUp Gold Pro: Starting at $2,415/license – Proactive server and network monitoring
- WhatsUp Gold Total: Starting at $3,495/license – Visibility across your infrastructure and apps
Loggly is a cloud-based log management services that can dig deep into extensive collections of log data in real-time while giving you the most crucial information, on how to improve your code and deliver a better customer experience. Loggly’s flagship log data collection environment means that you can use traditional standards like HTTP and Syslog, versus having to install complicated log collector software on each server separately.
- Collects and understands text logs from any sources, whether server or client side.
- Keeps track of your logs even if you exceed your account limitations. (Pro & Enterprise)
- Automatically parses logs from common web software; Apache, NGINX, JSON, etc.
- Custom tags let you find related errors throughout your log data.
- State of the art search algorithm for doing a global search, or individual based on set values.
- Data analysis dashboard to give you a visual glimpse of your log data.
- Lite: Free
- Standard: $99
- Pro: $199
- Enterprise: $349
- KC-Based Stackify Is Growing Fast, Hiring Too - December 10, 2019
- Fast-growing Leawood tech company rounds up local investors for $6M raise - December 5, 2019
- More than a podcast host: Matt Watson’s Stackify raises $6M in rapid scaling maneuver - November 25, 2019
- What are Microservices? Code Examples, Best Practices, Tutorials and More - September 13, 2019
- 9 Best Practices to Handle Exceptions in Java - August 22, 2019