Every developer’s toolkit needs a good source code repository host; a good host for your code is especially useful for DevOps team collaboration and working with Open Source projects.
There are many source code repository hosts available online, from the widely-used GitHub and Bitbucket to the lesser-known yet useful repo hosts catering to specific needs. Each one appeals to different users and their specific projects: open source projects, multi-developer projects, and more. While having many diverse hosts to choose from is a luxury, the problem lies with determining the perfect source code repository host for your needs.
Some hosts boast features that others don’t have. In order to make it easier for you to choose the right host, we’ve put together this list of 50 popular source code repository hosts. NOTE: The following 50 source code repository hosts are listed in no particular order.
Bitbucket is offered by the widely-known Atlassian and offers unlimited private code repositories for Git or Mercurial. Bitbucket is one of the most popular source code repository hosts in the development community.
- Approve code review more efficiently with pull requests
- Inline comments allow you to hold discussions within the source code
- Flexible deployment models
- Unlimited private repositories
- Secured workflow
- Integration with other tools that can help your team
- JIRA integration
- Custom domains
- Code reviews
- Small teams – FREE up to 5 users
- Large teams – $10 per month (10 users) $25/month (25 users) $50/month (50 users) $100/month (100 users)
- Unlimited users – $200 per month
Sourceforge is an open-source community resource. It’s been around longer than many of the other hosts on this list and is considered a top choice among Open Source developers. Open source projects for Linux, Windows, and Mac are typically hosted on Sourceforge.
- Host code for Git, Mercurial, and Subversion
- Features threaded discussion forums and integrated issue tracking
- View commit history as a graph
ProjectLocker is an enterprise-grade code repository host that comes with a private source code repository (Subversion hosting or Git hosting). These are compatible with standard clients.
- Web-based management console for managing users
- Automatic data backups
- Fine-grained directory-based permission
- BuildLocker continuous integration
- 15-days free trial for all plans
- FREE – 1 user, 1 project, 50 MB storage
- Venture – $19/month, 5 users, 5 GB storage, 5 projects
- Equity – $49/month, 20 users, 10 GB storage, unlimited projects
- IPO – $99/month, 50 users, 25 GB storage
- Enterprise – Contact for a quote
GitLab has a lot of features and tools, and they offer a variety of source code repository hosting. One of their unique features is the ability to install GitLab on your own server. Installing on your own server allows you to use GitLab with custom domains and custom hosts.
- Includes Git repository management, issue tracking, code review, an IDE, activity streams, wikis, and more
- Allows you to install GitLab on your own server
- Can cover bases by adding control on development process
- Built-in Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment to test, build, and deploy code.
- Community Edition – FREE, unlimited users
- Enterprise Edition Starter – $3.25 per user per month ($39 annually)
- Enterprise Edition Premium – $16.59 per user per month ($199 annually)
CloudForge from CollabNet offers Subversion Hosting and Git Hosting. You can choose between the two source code repository hosts. They have a wide selection of tools and features.
- Version Control Hosting
- Bug & Issue Tracking – Create, rank, assign and track issues with TeamForge tracker
- Wikis, discussion forums, and document management
- Granular permissions, project access, and security
- 99.9% uptime, backups, support and global datacenters
- FREE trial for 30 days on all plans
- Standard: $2/user/month (packs of 5), for small teams and non-critical projects
- Professional: $10/user/month (packs of 5), for small business and enterprise workgroups
Kiln, from Frog Creek Software, is a paid source code host for Git and Mercurial. It is known for collaboration tools and its ability to keep codes organized and secure. Kiln was created by the same company behind Trello and Stack Overflow.
- Work in any part of your code
- Brand, merge, clone, push or pull with ease
- HTTPS and SSH support and flexible user permission
- Monitor updates across projects, repos, and commits
- Save time when searching changesets, files, and code
- FREE 7-day trial
- Up to 5 users: $20/month on monthly plan or $18/month on yearly plan
- Up to 10 users: $100/month on monthly plan or $90/month on yearly plan
- Up to 20 users: $200/month on monthly plan or $180/month on yearly plan
- Up to 50 users: $400/month on monthly plan or $360/month on yearly plan
- Up to 100 users: $500/month on monthly plan or $450/month on yearly plan
- Up to 150 users: $700/month on monthly plan or $630/month on yearly plan
- Up to 250 users: $900/month on monthly plan or $810/month on yearly plan
- Up to 500 users: $1200/month on monthly plan or $1080/month on yearly plan
- For 501+ users: Contact them for a quote
- Pick optional add-ons to enhance FogBugz (for all plans): Time Tracking, Agile, Wiki, or Dev Hub
Launchpad is a software collaboration platform that provides bug tracking, code hosting using Bazaar, code reviews, a mailing list, and more. They use the Bazaar version control system to host project source code and import more than 2000 CVS, SVN and Git projects.
- Bug tracking
- Code hosting using Bazaar
- Code reviews
- Ubuntu package building and hosting
- Mailing lists
- Specification tracking
Codeplane is a paid service with Git as their VCS of choice. They offer up to 2GB for repositories with no limits on users or number of repositories per month. It’s a great choice for small companies or freelance teams.
- 2GB for Git repositories
- Unlimited users
- You can invite anyone you want without limits
- Simple interface
- FREE 30-day trial
- $9 per month
Assembla is the perfect host for Apache Subversion and Git. It is known for getting projects up and running quickly. Documentation, code reviews, and task management can all be handled through this app.
- Task management
- Features like Ticket Views and Milestones
- Built for Agile – very customizable, and by default, all projects are set up for Agile development: from time-tracking on tickets to custom fields through code reviews
- Can be shared or private install
- 10 users: $7.50 per user, $75 monthly price
- 15 users: $6.75 per user, $101 monthly price
- 20 users: $6.75 per user, $135 monthly price
- 30 users: $5.70 per user, $171 monthly price
- 50 users: $5.70 per user, $285 monthly price
- 70 users: $5.45 per user, $381 monthly price
- 100 users: $5.45 per user, $545 monthly price
- 150 users: $4.98 per user, $747 monthly price
- 200 users: $4.98 per user, $996 monthly price
- 200+ users: Custom plan (contact for a quote)
CodePlex is a free and open source project hosting offering from Microsoft. CodePlex allows you to create projects that you can share. You can also collaborate on projects with others and download open source software.
- Source code control
- Wiki pages and project discussions
- Issue tracking
Beanstalk is a Git and SVN hosting that doesn’t require clients. You can add files, create branches, and edit directly in your browser for instant gratification.
- Get total control of both teams and individuals with repository and branch-level permissions
- Keep your entire team on the same page with notifications
- Email digest, compare view, detailed history
- Fluid code review
- Issue tracker and statistics
- FREE for the first two weeks
- Bronze: $15/month, 3GB of storage, 10 repositories, 5 users, 3 servers/repository
- Silver: $25/month, 6GB of storage, 25 repositories, 20 users, 5 servers/repository
- Gold: $50/month, 12 GB of storage, 50 repositories, 40 users, 10 servers/repository
- Platinum: $100/month, 24GB of storage, 120 repositories, 100 users, 20 servers/repository
- Diamond: $200/month, 60GB of storage. 300 repositories, 200 users, 40 servers/repository
Savannah is becoming one of the most popular source code repository hosts, allowing you to host free projects running on free operating systems without proprietary software dependencies.
- Maintenance and distribution of official GNU software
- Host projects that aren’t a part of GNU but support free software with savannah.nongnu.org
CCPForge started as a collaborative software development environment tool for the Collaborative Computational Projects (CCP) community. It has now broadened its scope to all UK computational research and development projects. It aims to be as user-friendly as possible.
- Choose from CSV, SVN, or Git
- Bug tracking
- Functionality fixing
- Developers and user forums
- Feature request and other support request tracking
RepositoryHosting.com aims to make developing and completing source code projects as simple as possible. Developers can choose their repositories and create as many Subversion, Git, and Mercurial projects as they want.
- Choose repositories
- Browse your code
- Organize projects and users
- Comprehensive permission management
- Host open source projects
- Tickets, Milestones, Wikis, Blogs, and Discussion Forums
- FREE 30-day trial
Codebase is great for teams for keeping track of code and managing projects to ensure the continuous delivery of excellent software. It’s a professional code hosting for developers, and it allows software teams to choose the repositories.
- Git, Mercurial, Subversion repositories
- Code hosting
- Tickets, issues, and milestones
- File sharing
- Time tracking
- FREE for 15 days on all plans
- Hobbyist Plan: £9/month, 6 active projects, unlimited archived projects, 4GB disk space, 10 users
- Freelancer Plan: £19/month, 20 active projects, unlimited archived projects, 8GB disk space, unlimited users
- Studio Plan: £29/month, 45 active projects, unlimited archived projects, 14GB disk space, unlimited users
- Agency Plan: £59/month, 110 active projects, unlimited archived projects, 30GB disk space, unlimited users
Unfuddle is a full-stack software project management tool that provides bug and issue tracking, Git and Subversion hosting, and collaboration tools in one central place to streamline your workflow.
- Track tasks, issues, bugs
- Feature requests
- View, pivot, and organize tasks with drag and drop convenience
- First-class Git hosting with an unlimited number of repositories
- Code review
Personal Projects: FREE
- $19/month for up to 5 people
- $59/month up to 10 people
- $99/mo For up to 15 people
- $249/mo For up to 25 people
- $499/mo For up to 50 people +$3/person over 50
Jenkins is a leading open source automation server. It provides hundreds of plugins for supporting, building, and automating projects.
- Continuous integration and delivery
- Easy installation and configuration
Run by and for developers, SourceRepo provides an easy-to-use control panel for running Git, Subversion, and Mercurial, with a free project management solution.
- Easy to use Control Panel
- Unlimited Users/Developers for each Repository
- Secure Access and Hourly Backups
- Project Management Software
- Hook Script Integration
- Free 24/7 personal technical support
- Level One: $3.95 per month, 500 MB Storage, 1 Git, SVN, or HG repository, 1 Trac Instance and 1 Redmine Project, Unlimited Developers/Committers
- Level Two: $6.95 per month, 1 GB Storage, Unlimited Git, SVN, or HG Repository, Unlimited Trac Instances and Redmine Projects, Unlimited Developers/Committers
- Level Three: $12.95 per month, 3GB Storage, Unlimited Git, SVN, or HG Repository, Unlimited Trac Instances and Redmine Projects, Unlimited Developers/Committers
An enterprise software application for project hosting, KForge enables you to control access with a robust, role-based, single sign-on access controller. Their service also includes version control systems such as Git, Mercurial, and Subversion.
- Control access with robust, role-based, single sign-on access controller
- Project frameworks with features to help you plan and track work
- Wikis and a mailing list
- Content management systems and blogs
- Version control systems such as Git, Mercurial, and Subversion
Deveo is a repository management platform that can support Git, Mercurial, SVN, WebDAV and more.
- Repository management
- Collaboration tools
- Code review tools and Kanban type issue tracking
- Git-powered Wiki for documentation and file sharing
- Cloud or on-premise; works on most Linux operating systems
- Support common cloud providers
- Cloud: FREE, unlimited users, unlimited projects, unlimited repositories, use from the cloud, 1GB of storage for free, 1€/GB/month after 1GB
- ON-PREMISES: 36€ / year / user
- ENTERPRISE: Contact for a quote
Phabricator is an integrated set of powerful tools that aim to help build higher quality software.
- Apps that can help manage tasks and sprints, review code, host Git, SVN, or Mercurial repositories
- Build with continuous integration
- Discuss in integral chat channels
- Fast, scalable and fully open source
- No local limitations
- For Projects: FREE, Phacility Hosted, Free Up to 5 Users
- For Business: $20, Phacility Hosted, $20 per user / per month, no added cost after 50 users
- For Enterprise: $TBD, Private Cluster, Phacility Hosted, $500 per host / per month, unlimited users
Review Board was designed to support talking to multiple source code repositories of different types. A single server can be configured with an unlimited number of repositories, and you can also link up a repository with a supported hosting service.
- They provide a fast and easy way to configure the repository without having to figure out specific paths
- Bug tracker
- Easy configuration for working with different hosting services
- Can generate an SSH key to be used with repositories
SVNrepository is a subversion hosting company run by and for developers. They have an easy to use control panel that is helpful in running Subversion and Trac in no time.
- Intuitive control panel
- Unlimited users/developers for repositories
- Trac and Redmine automatically installed for each respository
- Automatic project setup for each repository
- Hourly backups
- Secure HTTPS access to SVN repository and Trac instances
- Level One: $3.95/month, 500 MB Space, 1 SVN or Git or Mercurial Repository, 1 Trac Instance, 1 Redmine Project, Unlimited Developers/Committers
- Level Two: $6.95/month, 1 GB Space, Unlimited SVN, Git, and Mercurial Repositories, Unlimited Trac Instances, Unlimited Redmine Projects, Unlimited Developers/Committers
- Level Three: $12.95/month, 3 GB Space, Unlimited SVN, Git, and Mercurial Repositories, Unlimited Trac Instances, Unlimited Redmine Projects, Unlimited Developers/Committers
Gna! is a source code repository that is a central point for development, distribution, and maintenance of Libre Software (Free Software) projects. They provide source code repositories including CVS, GNU Arch, Subversion.
- Source Code Repositories (CVS, GNU Arch, Subversion)
- Download area
- Web pages
- Mailing-list and trackers (bugs, tasks, support request, patches)
Pikacode is a source code repository host for Git and Mercurial.
- Git and Mercurial hosting
- Public and private repositories
- Bug tracker
- Roadmap and milestones
- Durable backup
- Sponsors code hosting for Hoa project
- FREE – 100MB storage, unlimited public repositories and collaborators
- 14.99€/year – 1GB storage, unlimited private repositories and unlimited private collaborators
Planio is a host for Subversion and Git repositories. A Planio account comes with unlimited hosted SVN and Git repositories which are integrated, highly available, and secured.
- Task management and workflows solution
- Agile project management
- Roles and permissions to manage access control
- Effective communication through blog, forums, and comments
- Time tracking
- FREE trial for 30 days on all plans
- Platinum: 99 € / month, 40 active Projects, 45 active Users, 50 GB Storage
- Diamond: 59 € / month, 15 active Projects, 20 active Users, 30 GB Storage
- Gold: 39 € / month, 7 active Projects, 10 active Users, 15 GB Storage
- Silver: 19 € / month, 3 active Projects, 5 active Users, 2 GB Storage
- Enterprise: from 199 €* / mo, 100 Projects or more, 100 Users or more, 100 GB Storage or more
Rhodecode is an enterprise open source code repository. They can host Mercurial, Git, and Subversion.
- Team collaboration
- Workflow automation
- Integrate an existing code base with new tools and issue trackers
- Secured repositories
- Audit and report code compliance
- Community Edition (CE): Free & Open Source, unlimited users, hosted on-premises
- Enterprise Edition (EE): (30-day trial) $75 per user/year, minimum 10 users, seats offered in 10-packs
Pulp is a platform for managing repositories that make it easy to fetch, upload, host, publish, and apply software packages.
- Supported Types: RPM, Python, Puppet, Docker OSTree
- Free and open-source
- Can locally mirror all or part of another code repository
- Host your own software packages in repositories
- Manage content from multiple sources in one place
A non-profit organization offering free services for projects working under the free software philosophy, TuxFamily provides “free hosting for free people.”
- Web hosting (PHP5 is supported)
- MySQL and PostfreSQL databases
- CVS, Subversion, Git, and Mercurial repositories
- Download up to 1GB (can be increased if more space is needed)
- 200 MB quota for all groups
Versionshelf is a secure service for effortless hosting of Git, Subversion, and Mercurial.
- Use Git, Subversion, and Mercurial
- Assign user accounts, teams, and permissions
- Track commit log activity with RSS feeds
- Use Post commit hooks to integrate with your issue Tracker
- Trigger web hooks after each commit
- Web repository access for all users
- All plans have 30-day FREE trial
- Premium Plan: $79.00 /month, Accounts: unlimited, Repositories: unlimited, Storage capacity: 18 GB
- Plus Plan: $39.00 /month, Accounts: 45, Repositories: 30, Storage capacity: 8 GB
- Basic Plan: $19.00 /month, Accounts: 20, Repositories: 15, Storage capacity: 3 GB
- Personal Plan: $6.95 /month, Accounts: 5, Repositories: 6, Storage capacity: 600 MB
Pastebin is a source code repository host providing an online space to store text for a certain period of time. It’s mostly used by developers to store source code or for configuring information.
- Available API
- Syntax highlighting available for almost any language
- Control your pastes as public or private
- Available FREE plan (limited features)
- PRO ACCOUNT:
- Monthly: $2.95 (per month)
- Yearly: $23.95 (per year)
An open-source community of tools, projects, and collaborative working groups, Eclipse is a popular service among developers.
- IDE and other tools
- Community of projects
- Collaborative working groups
TurnKey GNU offers revision control as part of an all-in-one code repository. Revision control combines open source version control systems, which makes everything easier for developers.
- Revision control systems supported: Git, Bazaar, Mercurial, Subversion
- SSL support out of the box
- Webmin module for configuring Apache2
- Includes TurnKey web control panel
Transifex is a localization platform to power global content, aiming to drive international growth with translation tools and a central location for automating localization.
- Manage translation
- Translate content
- Collaborate with translators
- Automate localization process from one central place
- Build personalized multilingual experiences
- Translate website without coding
- STARTER: $139 per month, billed annually ($179/mo billed monthly)
- GROWTH: $369 per month billed annually ($449/mo billed monthly)
- ADVANCED: $749 per month billed annually ($899/mo billed monthly)
- PRO: $1,350 per month billed annually
- ENTERPRISE: Contact for a quote
Tigris is a mid-sized open source community focused on building tools for collaborative software development.
- Informational resources for software engineering professionals and students
- Every project fits into the Tigris mission
- Produce a number of very powerful and useful software development tools
GitHub is a development platform. Using this source code repository host, you can review code, manage projects, and build software together with other developers.
- Write better code
- Conversations and code reviews
- Project management alongside code in issues and projects
- Code security
- Access controlled
- Hosted where you need it
- Developer: $7 per month – unlimited public repositories, unlimited private repositories, unlimited collaborators
- Team: $9 per user / month – unlimited public repositories, unlimited private repositories, team and user permissions
- Business: $21 per user / month – hosted on GitHub.com
- Business (with free trial): $21 per user / month
Perforce is known for its “Helix” platform that offers a complete software collaboration system with issue tracking, code review, and advanced features like Threat Detection.
- Version Control that keeps Scania on the road to compliance
- Perforce Helix that supports both centralized and distributed workflows with enterprise-grade scalability
- Additional developer resources
- Free for a small team
- 12-Month Subscription and Perpetual Use: Request for a quote for other plans
A Fossil SCM host offering unlimited Fossil repositories, Chisel is a free software licensed under the ISC license.
- Weekly repositories backup
- Public or private distinctions to control access to repositories
- Submit issues and suggestions at any time
Buddy is a Git host that allows users to build, test, and deploy code in seconds.
- Build apps and run commands in isolated Docker containers
- FTP/SFTP, Amazon S3, Elastic Beanstalk, DigitalOcean, Heroku, Azure, and more
- Setup custom developer environments with Docker images
- Automate development
- Flexible deployments
Cost: All plans have a free trial available
- PLAY: FREE, 1 concurrent run, 1 project
- FREELANCER: $49/MO, 1 concurrent run, 25 projects
- TEAM: $99/MO, 2 concurrent runs, 50 projects
- SOFTWARE HOUSE: $199/MO, 4 concurrent runs, 100 projects
- ENTERPRISE: $299/MO, 6 concurrent runs, unlimited projects
- FREE, Up to 10 users
- Enterprise: $75 for every 5 users, per month, unlimited users
Subversion is an open source software developed as a project of the Apache Software Foundation. It is part of a rich community of developers and users.
- Most CVS features
- Directories are versioned
- Copying, deleting, and renaming, are versioned
- Free-form versioned metadata
- Atomic commits
- Branching and tagging are cheap operations
- Merge tracking
Gogs is a self-hosted Git service. It is 100% open source and free of charge. All source code is available under the MIT License on GitHub.
- Easy to install
- Gogs is cross-platform, and can run anywhere
- Go can compile for: Windows, Mac, Linux, ARM, and more
Kallithea is a member project of Software Freedom Conservancy, a GPLv3’d, Free Software source code management system. It supports two leading version control systems: Mercurial and Git.
- Built-in push/pull server
- Easy to integrate
- Code review
- Contribute online
- VCS visualized
Visual Studio Team Services offers an open platform for any development stack, including code hosting as well as a Continuous Integration service and Agile planning tools.
- Agile tools
- Continuous integration
- Release management
- Tools for Java Teams
- Centralized version control system with free private repos
- Enterprise ready
- Cloud-based load testing
- Free – 5 Users with access to Basic features like unlimited Git repos, Agile tools, exploratory testing, release management, and more.
- Unlimited users with access to work items, 1 Private Pipeline to run builds and deploy releases from your own server, 1 Hosted Pipeline (4 hours per month) to run builds and deploy releases in the cloud.
- $30/monthly – 10 users
- $110/month – 20 users
- $350/month – 50 users
- $750/month – 100 users
- $1150/month – 200 users
- $4350/month – 1000 users
- Pay only for the users on your team who need access
Gitolite hosts Git repositories and allows you to setup Git hosting on a central server, making it possible to control access to many Git repos.
- Setup Git hosting on a central server
- Fine-grained access control
- Can be installed without root access
- Control access to many Git repositories
Springloops is a useful web development tool with lightning-quick deployments. It offers SVN/Git control combined with web developments.
- Lightning-fast deploy
- Load revisions of your project at any time
- No limit on the number of users and servers
- Eliminate the risk of error by copying server settings, then sharing them with your team
- FREE, 100 MB of space, 1 repository
- $15, 3 GB of space, 10 repositories
- $25, 6 GB of space, 25 repositories
- $50, 12 GB of space, 50 repositories
- $100, 24 GB of space, 120 repositories
- $200, 60 GB of space, unlimited repositories
XP-Dev is an all-in-one enterprise-grade private code hosting solution for collaborating on projects, as well as sharing and deploying code.
- Git hosting
- Subversion hosting
- Mercurial hosting
- Repository deployments
- Repository integrations
- Global project and repository hosting
- Trac hosting
- Agile project management
- Real-time backups
- Pro Small: $5/month$48/year, 2GB storage
- Pro MSmall: $10/month$96/year, 5GB storage
- Pro Medium: $15/month$144/year, 10GB storage
- Pro Large: $30/month$288/year, 20GB storage
- Enterprise Small: $50/month$480/year, 40GB storage
- Enterprise Medium: $100/month$960/year, 90GB storage
Gerritforge offers development and enterprise-grade support. It is one of the main contributors to Gerrit Code Review and provides LDAP integration, single sign-on, and more.
- LDAP integration
- Role-Based Access Control
- Lifecycle integration with an Enterprise-grade support 24/7 basis
- Base Package – up to 100 users – $250/month
- Silver Package – up to 500 users – $1,175 /month
- Gold Package – up to 1000 users – $2,225 /month
- Platinum Package – up to 5000 users – $8,075 /month
FusionForge aims to foster better team collaboration, offering tools such as message forums, mailing lists, and overall management of the entire development lifecycle.
- Control access to source code management repositories such as CVS and Subversion
- Manage file releases
- Document management
- News announcements
- Surveys for users and admins
- Issue tracking with “unlimited” numbers of categories, text fields, and more
Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed for small to large projects with speed and ease. Git is hosted on GitHub and is a member of the Software Freedom Conservancy.
- Easy to learn
- Has a tiny footprint with lightning fast performance
- Outclasses SCM tools like Subversion, CVS, Perforce, and ClearCase
- Cheap local branching
- Multiple workflows
Java.net by Oracle is a source for Java technology collaboration, designed to make it easy for people to create projects.
- Each project has a project owner who can monitor the project
- Owner can grant roles and permissions to users
- Spam elimination by process for creating a project
- What is Load Testing? How It Works, Tools, Tutorials, and More - February 5, 2021
- Americaneagle.com and ROC Commerce stay ahead with Retrace - September 25, 2020
- Stackify’s New Pricing: Everything you need to know - September 9, 2020
- INNOVATORS VS COVID 19 Matt Watson, the CEO at Stackify, advises Entrepreneurs to focus on the things that make them happy, regardless if work is a giant dumpster fire - September 2, 2020
- Stackify Joins the 2020 Inc. 5000 List of Fastest-Growing Companies - August 25, 2020